To recommend when to visit Milan, for somebody who lives in this city, isn’t the easiest thing. I like Milan in all seasons. I can tell you that every season has its charm and attraction.
It all depends on whether only beautiful weather matters to you or you are looking for something what makes Milan special such as various events, festivals, fashion and design shows or maybe just shopping.
Find Out When Is The Best Season To Visit Milan
Winter in Milan
During the three typical winter months, January, February and March, Milan average temperatures are among the lowest in the northern Italian. Days are rather cold and foggy with average high temperature between 5C° to 13C° and average between - 2C° to 3C°.
Don't forget to bring a warm coat for Milan's foggy and cold winter days.
If you come in Milan in this period, the view from roof of Milan Duomo Cathedral of snow covered Alps, will be really marvelous. This is the high sky season for many Milanesi and not only.
This season is also the period for fashion lovers when in Milan takes place two important fashion events: Men's Fashion Week in January and Women's Fashion Week in February. For shopping fans January and February are periods of winter sales (saldi) in the department stores and boutiques of Milan.
Winter is also known for some 'must be there' events' like February Carnival which takes place in Milans Piazza Duomo with elegant costumes and masks.
Milan in spring
Best Time To Visit Milan
You can not go wrong if you visit Milan in April, May or June. With the first signs of spring the nature suddenly awakens from the foggy and damp winter season. Every corner of the city changes, the streets and squares are full of colors, courtyards and parks start blooming and the days get longer and longer. People desire to stay in the open air.
Outdoor bars and restaurants become more visited. This is the best time to explore the city, visiting some parks such as Sempione or the botanical gardens of Brera. Its ideal time to admire Milan from top of Duomo roof.
The life of the city moves outdoors. Outdoor bars become more and more more popular for socializing and unmissable outdoor aperitif. The spring is ideal for walks, outdoor sports and cycling, along the banks of the Navigli canals or in the parks of the center.
In this period its not always sunny in Milan. Sudden showers and rainy days are more frequent in April and May while June tends to be with more sunny days and and sometimes with summer temperature rebounds.
The average temperature in Spring goes from average high 18°C to 07°C average low in April, from average high 22°C to average low 11°C in May while June temperatures vary from 15°C to 26°C. In this period rain average precipitation in (mm) goes from 82,3 in April, 96,5 in May and 65,3 in June.
Key events in this period:
- Furniture Fair in April - This traditional international fair (The Salone Internazionale del Mobile) takes place every year, since 1961.
- Flower slow and Antiques Market along Navigli canal - (Flowers and flavors Naviglio Grande) traditionally takes place in April and October while The Antiques Market (Mercatone dellAntiquariato) takes place on the last Sunday of each month on both sides of Naviglio Grande.
Milan in summer
The summer season in Milan is quite hot. July, August and September are the warmest months that resemble to the hot and humid summers of New York. August is the quietest month in Milan when the city practically empties. Locals are running away for vacation, in mid-August (Ferragosto 15 August) Milan looks like deserted city.
If you really want to enjoy Milan, August is the right month. The traffic is drastically reduced, the rhythm of city life slows down. The only inconvenience regards the fact that most of shops, bars and restaurants are closed for holidays (chiuso per ferie).
Tourists will like to visit Milan in August. Sometimes seems to be more tourists than local. Perfect time to visit more museums and top Milan sights to skip the long lines for Last Supper or roofs of Duomo Cathedral.
Things to do
If you visit Milan in this period, there are a lot of things to do and see:
- Shopping summer sales - Discover the world of fashion in the capital of glamor and style, Milan. If you love fashion and shopping, be there from early days of July. It lasts to the end of August.
- Women fashion week - it usually takes place at the end of September. (2018 - 18th-24th September). Check this link for more information.
- Fashion art and design summer courses - you can study fashion everywhere in the world, but studying in Milan, the capital of fashion, makes the difference. Find out the best summer courses here!
Milan in fall
In three fall months Milan begins to be more cold and rainy. Milan starts to prepare for winter. The days are shorter and shorter and city life moves from open to closed spaces. Fall is a period of festivities and traditions.
The cooler season starts with All Saints Day (1 Nov) but soon after, the city starts preparation for Christmas and New Year.
This is a nice period to visit Milan. It's not to cold but festive atmosphere can be savor everywhere, visiting the pastry shops, decorated shop windows, great smells of roasting chestnuts and traditional Panetone: beautiful sweet bread loaf originally from Milan.
What to do?
- October Fall Design Week
- Jazz Milan festival in November - a popular event that best represents the jazz music universe.
- On December 7th every year - two-day festivity for the Immaculate Conception and SantAmbrogio - the patron saint of the city. Officially starts the Christmas season.
- 'Oh Bej! Oh Bej!' - Christmas market
- The First Night at La Scala - on December 7th
- If you visit Milan, don't miss to see on 7 December the jumbo Christmas tree in Piazza Duomo.