BGY airport stands for international airport near Bergamo town. It bears several names, more often simply called Bergamo airport or Orio ale Serio (village next to the airport). But it’s official name is Il Caravaggio International airport. (Who’s Caravaggio?)
No matter which name you’re going to use, this airport appears to be the third Milan’s city airport that recently has become the most important low-cost airport in Italy. Together with Malpensa and Linate airport makes the integral part of Milan airports’ system.
The airport Orio al Serio is easily reached from all over Lombardy, thanks to its particularly favorable geographic position. It’s only few miles from Bergamo town and 45 km from Milan city.
As an important low-cost airport, many companies use this airport as a hub point connecting most European capitals with Northern and Central Italy. One of the best-known low-cost companies that stands out is Irish Ryan air that uses this airport as its main hub.
Bergamo airport is located approximately one hour drive to Milan Linate airport and one hour and half to Malpensa airport. (depending of traffic conditions)
On this page you’ll find:
- Bergamo airport on the map and airport code
- Who travels to Bergamo and what airlines fly there?
- More frequent questions regarding this airport
- Bergamo airport facilities
- Essential information about airport
Visit these related pages to know more about:
- Bergamo airport transfers
- About Bergamo town
BGY airport on the map and airport code
On the above image you can easily guess the airport position. It’s obvious that it lies on the main highway A4 that takes you from Milan city in direction of Venice. If you are driving, from Milan just take signs indicating modern highway A4 to Venice. (also called Serenissima).
After 45 Km (25 minutes drive what depends of traffic density), after Dalmine turn right taking Bergamo exit. After paying toll fee, proceed on the right and after few hundred meters, turn right to Orio al Serio sigh and keep driving to the airport building.
Orio al Serio International Airport has following airport codes – IATA code is BGY and ICAO code is LIME.
Who travels to Bergamo and what airlines fly there?
If you consider that this airport in 2017 received about 12 million passengers, it’s obvious how popular it is. Although many flights derive from domestic flights from other parts of Italy, the greatest number of passengers come from the UK. More specifically from London.
You can reach this romantic city by Ryan air flights from Glasgow, London, Paris, Brussels, Frankfurt, Hamburg and Stockholm, making it an ideal short break destination. Even though, Ryan air seems to dominate on this airport, there are many other airlines that fly in and out of Bgy airport offering various routes (such as Wizz for Eastern Europe routes).
Find your cheap flight to Bergamo airport!
Your questions about this airport?
Here are some most common questions, travelers ask me when they are heading to or from Bgy airport. The most questions usually concern about connections of this airport to Milan city.
- Question: We’re flying out from Bergamo airport on an early flight. Is there a nice hotel we can stay close to the airport the night before?
- Answer: In your case I suggest to find property as close as to the airport and only if they offer a schedule transport to airport. I would recommend NH Orio al Serio hotel (it’s just 20 minutes walk from the departure airport building). If not here are all properties in the airport neighborhood!
- Question:I’d like to know how many buses are running to Milan City and is there a bus connection from Bergamo airport directly to Malpensa Terminal 1?
- Answer: Practically, there are three bus lines from BGY airport to Milano Centrale (Milan Central Station) – Orioshuttle, Autostradale and Terravision. Any of three will do. I recommend Terravision but only one that runs directly from Bergamo airport to Malpensa Terminal 1 or 2 is Orio Scuttle.
- Question:Is there a train connection from Beramo airport to Milan Central Station. I have to take a train to Venice.
- Answer: Train station is close to Bergamo town and you have to take a local bus. There is every 20 minutes local bus ATB company to Bergamo train station. You have to get off at the first stop from Orio al Serio airport. It costs 2,50€ from the ticket machine, on board you’ll pay 3€. More info you can find here.
Need to Know
There is no need to go all the way to Milan Central Station to take a train to Venice. There are trains from Bergamo train station to Venice. Mostly are slower trains (regional) with two changes at Rovato and Verona. In case you need fast and direct train to Venice, you have to go to Milan Central Station. Visit Omio for more detailed info where you can buy a ticket.
Bergamo airport facilities
In spite of the fact that Bgy airport isn’t so big, it offers all necessary facilities for travelers. It has a good selection of places to get something to eat and drink while you are waiting for your flight.
For last minute shopping, it’s rather small so there is not a great selection of shops, but there is a pretty good selection of retail outlets where you can purchase duty free goods, souvenirs, clothing and books.
It offers the VIP lounges situated in the departures area beside the security checks and like Linate and Malpensa, for 7.5€ ( 6€ if you buy it online) you can take advantage of Fast Tracking Service that provides quicker access to the security checks and faster approach to your boarding area.
Bergamo airport has a single Terminal and a single landing and take-off runway while Linate and Malpensa which both have two.
Bergamo Tourist Office is located in the arrivals hall and is open from Monday to Saturday from 8.00 to 20.00 and on Sunday from 10.00 to 18.00. It offers free tourist information and a hotel booking service. Telephone: +39 035 320402 or visit Tourism Bergamo website.
- Call Center +39035 326323
- Lost and found – It’s located in the arrivals area. Phone: +39035 326297
- Custom office: Phone +39035 0862289
- First Aid – Phone +39035 326370
- Hotels near Bergamo airport