MXP airport stands for Malpensa International Airport (IATA code MXP) located in the province of Varese, 42 km northwest of Milan. It’s the biggest of two international airports in Milan.
Malpensa airport has following codes – IATA code is MXP, while ICAO code is LIMC. What are IATA and ICAO codes?
Terminal 1 is the main airport terminal. It’s connected by Malpensa Express train from Cadorna station and Central Milan train station.
- 1A: handles domestic and Schengen European flights.
- 1B and 1C: handles non-Schengen and some intercontinental flights. ( All flights from Canada by Air Canada and USA flights by Delta Air Lines are handled on section 1B)
- What are Schengen and non-Schengen flights. Get to know all about the requirements of the Schengen Agreement .
- Level 0 – Arrivals
- Level 1 – Departures
- Level 2 – Check in
You’ll find over 20 rental car companies in Terminal 1 to choose from at MXP airport. Almost every national rental car brand is represent here, but we recommend you get quotes from the following companies before completing your booking.
This terminal handles European Low Cost Carriers. EasyJet is for the moment the only one carrier. (currently only EasyJet). Most flights from London, Manchester, Glasgow and Edinburgh are landing on this terminal.
Milan Malpensa airport offers a free shuttle service to connect Terminal 1 with Terminal 2.
With most low-cost airlines arriving here. there are not as many rental car options in Terminal 2. We recommend you get quotes from the following companies that have offices in Terminal 2 before completing your booking.
This modern airport offers many useful facilities for passengers such as VIP business lounges, lost property, fast track, bank services, tax refund service, currency exchange, pharmacy, first aid, chapel and many more.
From my personal experience, one of the services that gives me the most trouble and makes me lose nerves and time, is check-in procedure. Long and endless queues are quite normal at Mxp airport. How to avoid them and make check-in access more quicker and more relaxing? The answer is:
Fast Track Service
ViaMilano FastTrack is the service that provides quicker access to the security checks and faster approach to your boarding area at both Malpensa airport terminals using a dedicated route.
Buying your ViaMilano Fast Track ticket will significantly save time and gives you quick access to the security checks and to the boarding area. You can buy it linking to Via-milano-eshop. Be careful once you have bought your fast track to choose when best to use and respect the validity dates! It costs 9. Check the screenshot below.
Milano City Pass
Are you about to visit the city of Milan? See the best of Milan at your own pace with the Milano Card.
Is it worth buying one? See what you get:
- Unlimited access to Milan’s public transportation system (bus, tram and the metro) for 24 hours, 48 hours or 72 hours ( depending on the selected card)
- 50 % discounted or free entries to top Milan attractions like Gallerie d’Italia, Armani Silos, Museum of Science and Technology and more then 20 Milan museums.
- Use your Milan city pass to save money on bike rental
- Free multilingual medical assistance, available 24 hours a day
- Discounted rates for Airport Bus Malpensa, Linate, Bergamo Orio al Serio.
If you have done some shopping during your stay in Milan, you can ask for tax refund. If you haven’t done downtown, the airport is the right place.
Find out how to request a VAT refund for your purchases made in Italy, both inside and outside the airport. In fact, all those who are resident or domiciled outside the European Union are eligible for a reduction or refund of VAT included in the purchase price of goods. Find out where to find Tax Refund desks at MXP Airport.
- GLOBAL BLUE (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boarding area A – zone 12,Tax Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in,zone 12) Openings: from 6.00 a.m. to 10.30 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58581196. Website!
- TAX REFUND (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boarding area A – zone 12,Tax Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in,zone 12). Openings:from 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58581110. Website!
- PREMIER TAX FREE (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boardings area A – zone 12,Tax Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in,zone 12) Openings: from 05.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58580247. Website!
Where to Eat
With the vast range of restaurants, bars and shops in both terminals, waiting for your flight will be a pleasurable experience. Mxp airport offers three dedicated piazzas according your needs.
The Piazza del Gusto
Translated as Taste Square, this is large a space of over 2,200 sqm located in the departure area of Terminal 1 that provides passengers with high-quality commercial offerings of almost every food imaginable.
Where to Shop
Beyond the duty-free shops at Milan MXP, there are a couple shopping piazzas with high-end stores that are worth checking out.
Piazza del Lusso
Since May 2014, the Piazza del Lusso welcomes some of the world’s best known luxury brands: from Bulgari, Armani and Ermenegildo Zegna to Etro, Ferragamo and Gucci; from Hermes and Montblanc to Damiani.
Piazza del Pop
An area dedicated to the trendy brands that interpret the Design & Street Fashion of the Milan city. Zara store with its bright interior and contemporary design, offers passengers a spacious 700 square meters, a pure joy of shopping.
Important public services available at Milano Malpensa Terminal 1 and Terminal 2
- Call center – Phone +39 02 232323 (lines are open 7 days a week, from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Baggage Left Office – Phone +39 02 74867277. Terminal 1 at ground Floor – Arrivals B: open every day from 6:00 to 22:0.
- First Aid – Phone +39 02 748624.02 – 09 at ground floor south side.
- Pharmacy – Ground Floor – Tel. (+39) 02 58580287
- Pharmacy – Arrivals : open every day from 8:00 to 20:00. First Floor – Tel. (+39) 02 58582221
- Taxi Mxp airport service – Phone +39 331 231312 – +39 331 231313 at ground Floor
- Taxi Mxp airport service – Arrivals A : open every day from 7:00 to 22:00
Below you find answers to all of our frequently asked questions about Milan Malpena (MXP) Airport.
Milan MXP Airport
Ensure you pack everything you need in-flight inside your carry-on bag while ensuring it does not exceed 5 kg or contain any prohibited objects. Pack everything else in your checked luggage while also ensuring there are no dangerous objects within.
Furthermore, be courteous, patient and respectful with all Milan Malpena Airport staff. Even when you’re in a hurry, be prepared to kindly answer any question the check-in desk, passport and baggage control might ask you.
You should arrive at MXP airport at least 2-3 hours prior to departure so you can check-in your luggage soon after the desk opens. Getting your boarding pass and navigating through passport control could take approximately 30-90 minutes.
The airport also has 76 departure gates, so you might need to add an extra 10-20 minutes after passing through customs to get to your flight.