One of three airports in Milan, Malpensa (MXP) is the busiest airport in Northern Italy serving the Lombardy region, Piedmont, and Liguria. Its two passenger terminals offer numerous places to eat or shop, while the Malpensa Express train or shuttle bus provides easy access to Milan’s city centre.
Malpensa MXP is the biggest of two international airports in Milan and is located in the province of Varese, 42 km northwest of central Milan, and nearly an hour away by train or car.
Malpensa International Airport has an IATA code MXP which is why it’s known as MXP Airport. When flying by private planes, however, Milan Malpensa airports might be referred to by the ICAO code of LIMC.
Malpensa International airport consists of two terminals: Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. The distance between them is about 4.8 km and you can easily take a shuttle in between.
Terminal 1 is the main airport terminal. It’s connected by Malpensa Express train from Cadorna station and Central Milan train station.
- 1A: handles domestic and Schengen European flights.
- 1B and 1C: handles non-Schengen and some intercontinental flights and most long-haul flights. All flights from Canada by Air Canada and USA flights by Delta Air Lines are handled in section 1B.
What are Schengen and non-Schengen flights? Get to know all about the requirements of the Schengen Agreement.
- Level 0 – Arrivals
- Level 1 – Departures
- Level 2 – Check-in
You’ll find over 20 rental car companies in Terminal 1 to choose from at MXP airport. Almost every national rental car brand is represented here, but we recommend you get quotes from the following companies before completing your booking.
This terminal handles European low-cost carriers. EasyJet is for the moment the only carrier. Most flights from London, Manchester, Glasgow, and Edinburgh are landing at this terminal.
Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP) offers a free shuttle service to connect Terminal 1 with Terminal 2.
While most low-cost airlines have cheap flights that arrive here, there are not as many rental car options in Terminal 2. We recommend you get quotes from the following companies that have offices in Terminal 2 before completing your booking.
You can also check the rental car options in Terminal 1, as there is a free shuttle between terminals.
Private airport transfers are available from several companies which typically charge a minimum of €100-€120 for a basic economy or business type vehicle for up to three passengers. Vans that can seat 6-8 start around €130, while premium vehicles start around €185-€200. If needs a private transfer to Linate Airport or Orio al Serio airport in Bergamo, you can typically tack on an extra €10-€30 to the prices listed above.
Due to the high cost of private transfer, most passengers choose to take the Malpensa Express Train to either Milano Centrale or Milano Porta Garibaldi for a low cost of €13 for a one-way ticket.
The Malpensa Shuttle bus is another option that can be booked online with prices starting at €10 for a one-way trip to the city centre or €16 for a return ticket.
This modern airport offers many useful facilities for passengers such as VIP business lounges, lost property, fast track service, bank services, tax refund service, currency exchange, pharmacy, first aid, chapel, and many more.
From my personal experience, one of the services that give me the most trouble and makes me lose nerves and time is the check-in procedure. Long and endless queues are quite normal at MXP airport.
If you have a layover than a direct flight the VIP lounge wait rooms are much more enjoyable than those found for regular passengers. In Terminal 1, there are five different lounges to choose from including one near baggage claim.
Inside you can relax on exquisite and soft Italian furniture or hold business meetings with comfort-rich services. Some of the perks include dedicated wait staff, an exclusive buffet catering service, and unlimited high-speed WiFi access.
There is both covered and uncovered parking available at MXP airport with slightly different pricing at the two terminals. Online parking purchase is available for P1 long-term parking (4-minute walk), as well as the P2 Executive which is right by check-in.
For short-term parking at Terminal 1, the first hour costs €3 while every subsequent half-hour afterward costs an extra €2. At Terminal 2 the hourly rate is a static €3.60 per with a maximum charge of €29 per day.
Fast Track Service
Malpensa Fast Track entrance at Terminal 1 second floor ViaMilano FastTrack is the service that provides quick access to the security checks and a faster approach to your boarding area at both Malpensa airport terminals using a dedicated route.
Buying your ViaMilano Fast Track ticket will significantly save time and gives you quick access to the security checks and the boarding area. You can buy it online by visiting the ViaMilano. Be careful once you have bought your fast track to choose when best to use it and respect the validity dates! It costs €9.
Milano City Pass
Are you about to visit the city of Milan? See the best of Milan at your own pace with the Milano Card. Is it worth buying one? See what you get:
- Unlimited access to Milan’s public transportation system (bus, tram, and the metro) for 24 hours, 48 hours, or 72 hours ( depending on the selected card)
- 50 % discounted or free entries to top Milan attractions like Gallerie d’Italia, Armani Silos, Museum of Science and Technology, and more than 20 Milan museums.
- Use your Milan city pass to save money on bike rental
- Free multilingual medical assistance, available 24 hours a day
- Discounted rates for Airport Bus Malpensa, Linate, Bergamo Orio al Serio ariport.
If you have done some shopping during your stay in Milan, you can ask for a tax refund. If you haven’t done downtown, the airport is the right place.
Find out how to request a VAT refund for your purchases made in Italy, both inside and outside the airport. In fact, all those who are resident or domiciled outside the European Union are eligible for a reduction or refund of VAT included in the purchase price of goods. Find out where to find Tax Refund desks at MXP Airport.
- GLOBAL BLUE (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boarding area A – zone 12,Tax Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in,zone 12) Openings: from 6.00 a.m. to 10.30 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58581196. Website
- TAX REFUND (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boarding area A – zone 12, Tax-Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in, zone 12). Openings:from 6.00 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58581110. Website
- PREMIER TAX FREE (Terminal 1) – 1st Floor – Departures (boardings area A – zone 12,Tax Free Area) 2nd Floor – Departures (check-in,zone 12) Openings: from 05.30 a.m. to 12.00 p.m. Phone: +39 02 58580247. Website
Of all the Milan airports, Malpensa offers the widest range of restaurants, bars, and shops in both terminals, waiting for your flight will be a pleasurable experience. MXP airport also has three dedicated piazzas to meet your needs.
The Piazza del Gusto
Translated as Taste Square, this is large a space of over 2,200 sqm located in the departure area of Terminal 1 that provides passengers with high-quality commercial offerings of almost every food imaginable.
Beyond the duty-free shops at Milan MXP, there are a couple of shopping piazzas with high-end stores that are worth checking out.
Piazza del Lusso
The Piazza del Lusso welcomes some of the world’s best-known luxury brands from Bulgari, Armani, and Ermenegildo Zegna to Etro, Ferragamo, Gucci, and Hermes, Montblanc, and Damiani.
Piazza del Pop
An area dedicated to the trendy brands that interpret the Design & Street Fashion of Milan city. Zara store with its bright interior and contemporary design offer passengers a spacious 700 square meters of pure joy for shopping.
Important public services are available at Milano Malpensa Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
- Call center – Phone +39 02 232323 (lines are open 7 days a week, from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm.
- Baggage Left Office – Phone +39 02 74867277. Terminal 1 on the ground Floor – Arrivals B: open every day from 6:00 to 22:0.
- First Aid – Phone +39 02 748624.02 – 09 on the Ground Floor south side.
- Pharmacy – Ground Floor – Tel. (+39) 02 58580287
- Pharmacy – Arrivals: open every day from 8:00 to 20:00. First Floor – Tel. (+39) 02 58582221
- Taxi MXP airport service – Phone +39 331 231312 – +39 331 231313 on the Ground Floor
- Taxi MXP airport service – Arrivals A: open every day from 7:00 to 22:00
Below you find answers to all of our frequently asked questions about Milan Malpensa (MXP) Airport.
Milan MXP Airport
Ensure you pack everything you need in-flight inside your carry-on bag while ensuring it does not exceed 5 kg or contain any prohibited objects. Pack everything else in your checked luggage while also ensuring there are no dangerous objects within.
Furthermore, be courteous, patient, and respectful with all Milan MXP Airport staff. Even when you’re in a hurry, be prepared to kindly answer any question the check-in desk, passport, and baggage control might ask you.
You should arrive at MXP airport at least 2-3 hours prior to departure so you can check in your luggage soon after the desk opens. Getting your boarding pass and navigating through passport control could take approximately 30-90 minutes.
The airport also has 76 departure gates, so you might need to add an extra 10-20 minutes after passing through customs to get to your flight.